Mid Back Strain
A mid-back strain is an injury of muscles and tendons on the middle back that attach to the ribs and chest wall and to the spine. These muscles stabilize the spine & allow to the motion. The region of the back between the rib cage and the base of the neck. There are a number of ways the bones, muscles, ligaments, and disks in the spine can irritate or injure the nerves, causing back pain.
Prolonged overuse of muscles–tendon in the mid back, incorrect back mechanics, a single violent injury or force applied to the back increases pain.
Common symptoms of mid back pain include:
- muscle aches
- dull pain
- burning sensation at that area.
- sharp or stabbing pain in aggravate condition
- muscle tightness or stiffness present
- tingling or numbness in the legs, arms, or chest
- chest pain sometimes present
- weakness in the legs or arms
X-ray- to rule out a fractured (broken) or herniated (bulging) disc as the cause of the back pain.
CT scan & MRI test are best imaging test to show the bones, joints, ligaments, muscles and nerve roots.
Medical treatments for middle back strain include prescription medications, including painkillers, muscle relaxants and physical therapy like basic core isometric exercises, focused in mid and lower traps muscles, scapular strengthening exercises etc.
Exercises for mid back strain:
- Core-strengthening exercises- Working the abdominal & back muscles using core progression exs, bridges & planks helps to support the back.
Stretches exs include:
- Cat-Cow Pose: quadruped position on your hands and knees. Then, arch your back like a cat before sinking your back toward the ground in a U-shape like a cow.
- Cobra Pose (bhujang asana): prone lying on the ground, use your arms to prop up the upper body, stretching the back.
- Seated twist: Sitting cross-legged, twist your upper body to the right, placing your left hand on the right knee for support. Repeat on the other side.
- Child pose stretch- patient sitting in vajrasana position and forward bending to stretch the upper and mid back area. 30 sec hold 2times